The dawn of the 21st century witnessed what many commemorators have termed as property boom. The property market reached its peak and invested throughout the country, sought to capitalize maximumly by investing in real estate. Huge clients of land around Nairobi metropolis which included Kitengela, Kiambu, Mavoko and Rongai were converted from agricultural lands to commercial or mixed user.
This development was replicated in other major towns throughout the Republic including Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru, Eldoret among others. They was an upsurge in development of lifestyle living in gated communities comicomitantly, demand for legal services in the area also increased exponentially.
Plass Law remain instrumental in helping a plethora of clientele through the complex web that is Real Property Law. We have acted for high end property developers and individuals specifically in conducting due diligence estate planning and development, sub-division and amalgamation of user, extension of leases, land rent apportionment, statutory consent and clearances, assessment and payment of capital gain tax and stamp duty, transfer or conveyance of interests in land.
- In 2007 acting for a farmers co-operative society in defending of 400 acres parcel of land within then Thika Municipality in a transaction worth Kshs.200,000,000 (US$ 2,000,000).
- In 2008 acting for a well established real property company in the developing of an ultra modern estate on 100 acres of land within Kiambu County in a project then valued at Kshs.300,000,000 (US$3M). Specifically, advised on conversion of an agricultural land in over 400 residential units and commercial units replete with title.
- In 2009 acting for a leading giant co-operative society in purchasing over 750 acres of land within Kiambu County valued over Kshs. 800,000,000 (US$8,000,000).
- In 2009 – 2012 acting for a leading real estate development company in planning and developing of a multi-billion high end estate and converting over 700 acres of agricultural coffee estate into an ultra modern estate replete with a 18-hole golf championship course, club house, commercial center, five start hotel and over 800 residential premises.
- Acting for a self-help group from Transzoia County in sub-dividing, planning a development of an estate in a 68 acres agricultural farms. Advising on conversion of the Land from Registration of title regime to Land Registration Act, obtaining change of user and consent to sub-divide.
- In 2014 acting for a group of individuals, bona fide purchasers of land in occupying over 700 acres of land without ownership of documents for over 10 years. Advising in rectifying a hitherto haphazard, unplanned ‘kienyenji’ sub-division and in the processes assisting our clients to obtain certificate of titles to each of their parcel.
- In 2007 – 2019 acting for Epiphany Investment Limited, a group of self motivated professionals who converted their investment ‘chama’ into a multi million property company. Advising and acting for the company in purchasing prime parcels of land valued at Kshs.100,000,000/= in a complex transaction involving paying off a previous financier and obtaining a title thereto.
- In 2019 acting for Epiphany Investment Limited and in changing user and sub-dividing a property within Mavoko area, Machakos County with two parcels of land each measuring five acres and helping our client sell 5 acres to an international investor running a reputable group of school.
- In 2019 acting for a private university in selling off a prime property within the central business district of Nairobi in a transaction worth Kshs.75,000,000/= (US$6,750,000).
- In 2020 acting for an internationally recognized religious organisation in successfully purchasing a 5 acre property situated within the up-market suburbs of Karen in a deal worth Kshs.200,000,000/= (US$2.000.000) which entailed complex aspects of transfer of share and stock, company restructuring and creation of new shares in a company.