Constitutional and Public Law is one of the firm’s vibrant department. Constitutional and public law principles by their nature govern the manner in which the Government and by extension public bodies interact with its citizens both individuals and corporate.
We have an experienced team with necessary skills in prosecuting and defending proceedings on the constitutionality and administrative propriety of actions by county governments and government institutions. In addition the firm has participated in various constitutional petitions seeking interpretation of the Constitution of Kenya of 2010 and enforcement of the bill of rights.
The firm has been retained in high profile cases by various counties, government institutions as well as a number of individuals
- Successfully represented the county assembly of Nyeri in a constitutional petition challenging the constitutionality of the office of the deputy speaker in the county.
- Participated in two constitutional petitions challenging the appointment of county executive members of Nyeri County in defending the County Government of Nyeri after the demise of the then Governor of Nyeri in the year 2017.
- Successfully represented the County Government of Nyeri in various judicial review proceedings filed by various bar owners challenging the action of the County Government of closing bars and restaurants for non compliance with the Nyeri County Alcoholics Drinks Control & Management Act, 2014.
- Represented the County Government of Laikipia in various judicial review proceedings filed by various bar owners challenging the action of the County Government of closing bars and/or suspending liquor licenses for non compliance with the Laikipia County Alcoholics Drinks Control & Management Act, 2014
- Participated in a constitutional petition filed residents of Nyeri County in representing the County Government of Nyeri on the county budgetary making process.
- Represented various private individuals in enforcing their bills of rights as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
- Represented three county executive members in a constitutional petition against the speaker of the county assembly of Nyeri and the director of public prosecution challenging the action of the speaker of ordering the arrest of the county executive members for failure to honour the county assembly summons.